To get started, type a question in the box below. For example: “How do I apply to AHC?”
We Matched Your Question To:
Am I exempt from assessment test?
You are exempt from assessment if:
- You are transferring from another post-secondary institution and have completed the equivalent of the prerequisite to freshman composition or higher with a grade of C or better (exempt from English portion of assessment if verification is provided to a counselor or included with your registration materials);
- You are transferring from another accredited post-secondary institution and have completed Algebra 1 or higher with a grade of C or better, or have completed any other post-secondary math course within the last three years (exempt from math portion of assessment if verification is provided to a counselor or included with your registration materials);
- You provide scores from an assessment test currently in use at Allan Hancock College within the past three years (ACCUPLACER, COMPANION, and CELSA tests);
- You have an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution (see a college counselor if you want to enroll in a course with a math or English prerequisite);
- You are taking courses only to upgrade occupational skills or as continuing education related to current employment and are enrolling in nor more than nine units;
- You are taking courses which are not dependent on academic skill prerequisites (such as some PE, art, dance, and music courses) and are enrolling in no more than nine units;
- You are enrolling in six units or less (except English and 300- or 100-level math courses) and have goals that do not include working toward a certificate, an associate of arts degree, associate of science degree, or transfer;
- You receive credit by examination for English (exempt from English portion only) and/or math (exempt from math portion only) from department approved Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination (CLEP), or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) test/s.
Exemptions may change because of college board approval which was not available at the time of this publication. Even if you are exempt from START assessment, you are strongly encouraged to talk to a college counselor about your college goals, and to view the new student online orientation to acquaint you with student services and other college information. Call the Counseling Office for information at ext. 3293.
Not quite the answer you needed?
Please visit our 'Student Helpdesk' page for additional assistance.
Top 10 Questions
- Do you have a waiting list?
- What do I do if I forgot my username or password for myHancock?
- How do I declare or change my major or minor?
- What are AHC's certificate options for the Nursing program?
- Does your college have wifi (a wireless network)?
- What loans are available?
- When and where are my exams?
- What is the difference between a counseling drop-in and an appointment?
- What should I do if I am on academic and/or progress probation?
- What is my student ID number (H#)?